Thursday 10 March 2011

Business planning for social entrepreneurs: the prequel

Yesterday's session brought about a surprise: students have proposed to participate in several competition for new social startups across the globe, as a way of exercise. Excellent: this is going to be a great exercise, and probably a lot of fun. It does, however, mean that we are going to move to next week one of the final lectures, the one about business planning (submissions in these competitions are business plans, what else could they be?), that was originally scheduled for much later. And that means I have to scramble to prepare the lecture.

I'll do my best, though my schedule is very full. I know the topic reasonably well, so the main problem will be preparing a batch of my famously sleek slides :-). To do a better job of it, there is something I need to know from each of you. Do you know what the following expressions mean:

  • fixed costs vs. variable costs
  • investments and depreciation of investments
  • costs/revenues vs. liabilities/assets

Please each of you answer by commenting this post. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. Alberto, I have heard and learned about those terms even if, I have to admit, a quick update wouldn't do any harm.

    Thank you for going through the effort of changing what you already had planned.

    Let's hope this is a smart move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the same boat with Tiago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know them, but I would prefer to discuss them to update my memory. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm familiar with the terms and concepts but on a very superficial level :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that we are all in the same boat as Simona sayd .
    I know what the terms mean, but their real and concrete implication in a business plan will be something new to me.

    thanks again for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed, I studied it before, but 10 years ago, so I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with mostly about everyone, I need to refresh all of these terms since I have seen them a long time ago...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fair enough. You lot are masters of the diplomatic answer, it seems. :-)

    ReplyDelete